CIS Refunds

Taxfile > Services > CIS Refunds


If you are a construction worker you will want to register for a CIS card with HMRC. Without being registered for CIS your payslip will automatically be deducted by 30% instead of 20%. At the end of the tax year (5th April) you can get a refund from your Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) deductions if you’ve paid too much tax or National Insurance.


Taxfile are experts at claiming back CIS tax refunds - we do over 500 of these per year and usually subcontractors receive their refunds in just 3-4 weeks. Taxfile are also very well trusted by HMRC so our subcontractor CIS submissions and refund requests are rarely questioned.

Our advice is to start planning for your refund as early as possible by getting your records and paperwork to us now, or certainly ready for us well ahead of 5th April if you can.

The Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) is where a construction contractor deducts, at source, a portion of the money due to their subcontractor. Whatever amount is deducted is then passed directly to HMRC which is then counted towards the tax and National Insurance of a subcontractor. This effectively pays the tax element in advance.

How much is deducted will depend on whether a subcontractor is registered under the CIS system. Unregistered subcontractors usually get a 30% deduction, while the registered ones get a deduction of 10% less or the standard rate of 20%. This is one of the reasons that, by the end of the financial year, the amount deducted at source often ends up being overpaid.

But a bigger reason is the fact that the deductions did not factor in the personal allowance that every taxpayer in the UK is entitled to (the personal allowance for the tax year are listed on HMRC’s site HERE). Because of this overpayment, many subcontractors in the construction industry are due a tax refund.

You can also claim extensively for any work related expenses such as; accountant fees, travel, telephone, tools, clothing, etc.

It is a complex process and to ensure you get the maximum tax rebate let Taxfile help you. CIS tax refunds and accountancy for sub-contractors is one thing that Taxfile is exceptionally skilled at. Over the years we have secured valuable tax refunds or ‘rebates’ for thousands of sub-contractors working in the construction industry.

What Construction Workers Can Claim on Tax

  • Materials, Tools & Equipment
  • Protective clothing/uniform
  • Business travel & trip expenses
  • Internet, phone & stationary
  • Membership fees
  • Motor expenses & mileage allowance
  • Home-office expenses when working from home
  • Administration expenses including remuneration from family members helping with administrative and book keeping duties

We’ll help you get the figures right, offset all allowable expenses & so maximize your tax refund!

Usually we can help you offset the cost of tools, equipment, VAT, plant hire and some materials against your tax, to maximize the size of any refund you are due. But we can only do this if you have kept good records and receipts for the expenses in question (using a debit card for expenses helps!).

We provide CIS refunds for construction workers all around South London area, covering the boroughs of Croydon, Lambeth, Southwark, and Wandsworth.  We are your local tax accountants near you, and can help with your tax preparation, calculations, and submissions.


Speak to our expert advisors for CIS Refunds by calling 020 8761 8000.


Tax Agent


Tax Agent


Tax Agent